Artist at City of Ink // Inkaholicz Tattoo Family Affiliated // Hungry for opportunity// Always on the come - up







Monday, July 18, 2011

Eve by Cake 2011

If you seen my previous post, "My First Video," you saw this tattoo in progress.  But, let me tell the story behind it.  Of course, Leah wanted a dope piece and knew I was the one who could help give her that.  Originally, she told me she had wanted an Eve and the garden of Eden theme, but was hesitant because I did a piece similar to that the previous year.  Plus, it was on one of my favorite customers.

2 Session piece done on customer and friend Saidah.  This was my first attempt at an eve piece.  Definitely spoke a true message.  And, set the bar for those to come.

I saw it differently though.  As a tattoo artist, daily people come to us to duplicate others' tattoo ideas.  It is our job as an artist to manipulate the inspiration and make our own.  And, too the most crucial detail; making it unique to our client.

So with this challenge I took a different approach.  For one, I drew right on the skin from mind.  No visuals involved.  I wanted my style to emerge.  I decided that I wanted to take a different angle on the piece also.  Usually, I'd add the snake to symbolize sin but instead I used Eve's hair to do so.  How does one ask? No, I didn't turn her hair into snakes but rather hid her mouth with it.  When Eve chose to bite into the "Forbidden Fruit," she had no mind nor say.  With my interpretation I then used flow, and transition from Leah's previous back piece of the tree of life which I too tattooed in order to create unity.  Hope you enjoy the visuals. 

"Tree of Life"
Leah's previous back piece tattooed by me.


  

                                                   Drawing on skin

 

                                               Lining and Shade work

 

 

 

                                               First session of color work

No comments:

Post a Comment